Senior Products Engineer
|Vacancy Job Title||Senior Products Engineer|
|Reports To||Head of Mechanical Engineering|
The Senior Products Engineer performs product engineering for every phase of small to medium sized (£10k to £5m+) projects or engineering studies, to assure completion within budget and in accordance with contractual obligations.
The Senior Products Engineer liaises with the Process Engineering Team and the CFD modelers and defines key product designs details, devises methods to accomplish them, and develop in-depth knowledge of client product needs and objectives.
The Senior Products Engineer develops the design with the drawing office, ready for design review, and afterward for production through our supply chain.
The Senior Products Engineer will also develop a close liaison with the supply chain and evaluate new suppliers, receive & evaluate manufacturing estimates, and approve purchase orders for the company.
In addition, the Senior Products Engineer will liaise with the Project Management Team (PMT) about the manufacturing schedule and project management functions including manufacturing budget control, quality assurance and control, deliveries/shipping, construction/installation management, and post contract performance review (lessons learnt).
- Plans, directs and supervises all mechanical/technical design, fiscal and administrative functions of products, sub-products or studies with the PMT
- Liaises as RJM’s representative with clients and selected vendors during product manufacture
- Reports manufacturing status and advises on the impact of changes or additional works to the PMT
- Establish preliminary conceptual design criteria and technical engineering for all areas of the products, to establish best design & manufacturing practices for the final engineering and construction of the company products.
- Prepares or subcontracts preparation of all engineering and detail design
- Prepares design calculations, sizing and selection of components ensuring compliance with contract requirements
- Interfaces with PMT to coordinate all design details
- Develops budgets, schedules and plans for the various elements of each product. Ensures that each project meets or exceeds goals established in these plans
- Assigns responsibility for executing portions of projects or complete project plans to subcontractors after assessment of how to best utilize their qualifications and strengths
- Prepares specifications for all design work to be subcontracted, evaluates bids and coordinates activities of outside design firms or consultants to confirm design/sizing will meet technical requirements for the contract
- Ensures compliance to RJM’s QMS procedures
- Prepares purchase orders for the product manufacture and delivery
- Reports the progress of all production activities, including significant milestones, and any conditions that would affect project cost or schedule to the PMT
- Ensure the company design review procedures are followed and ensure implementation of all review changes, advising of any delay or cost implications
- Plans, monitors and records engineering changes to the product, and communicates them to the supply chain
- Plans and executes action to rectify potential project delays or cost overruns, or to accommodate significant changes to the scope of work with the PMT
- Manages construction sub-contractors and other associated construction functions necessary to erect supplied equipment, material and engineering services for specific projects
- Assist with hands on diagnostic testing, start-up, and commissioning of products and systems, which may require extensive time in the field
- Prepare design proposals, presentations and pricing advice for sales opportunities
- Review past contracts with PMT and lesson learnt log implementation to the design team.
Work Location: Winchester, UK
Hours: Generally, 8.30am – 17.30pm, 5 days per week, with occasional extra hours as necessary
Holiday: 25 days annual leave
Travel: Up to 10% of total time to domestic and international locations
Knowledge, Skills and Educational Requirements:
- Degree Standard in Mechanical, Structural or Production Engineering
- 15 or more years related work experience
- Prior experience must include significant engineering to small and medium sized projects
- Demonstrated ability to manage cost, schedule, supply chain interface and contracts
- Technical knowledge and experience of combustion, emissions technology and related processes systems would be an advantage
- Strong computer skills including demonstrated experience in the use of AutoCAD 2D or Draughtsight and SolidWorks
- Action-oriented engineer with demonstrated ability to accomplish objectives
- Strong planning and organising skills with demonstrated ability to manage details
- Ability to interface at all relevant levels within the RJM
- Organisation, with good communication skills capable of developing strong supply chain relationship
- Team Player mentality
- PRINCE 2 Practitioner
- NEBOSH or IOSH Management of Health & Safety at Work
- Chartership with a relevant professional body
- Additional language skills
- Driving license
- Current passport
- Some knowledge of Bulk Granular Materials Handling
- Some knowledge of AutoCAD Inventor
- Microsoft Project experience
Posted: 19th September 2018
For further information and to apply for this position, please contact Pennie Lestock-Reid, Administration Manager. Contact